Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Polishing Brass Knockers!

"Thomarse" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello!

A very short and simple question.. I am going to paint my front door
and add some traditional Brass Victorian style knockers and knobs etc.
However I am leaving the existing letterbox in place. This is also
brass (I think) and is looking rather shabby since it has been expeosed
to the elements for many years.

Does anybody know of any good methods for cleaning the surface to make
it shine again? I'm sure there must be some simple old wives way of
doing this that has good results

You can still buy Brasso.

To clean it chemically before polishing it I'd paint it with a limescale
treatment. It's a bit aggressive (HCl) but it works and it's quicker than a
mild acid such as like lemon juice or vinegar. Then polish with Brasso or
some other proprietary brass/copper cleaner. It will be like new!

Mary

Cheers

Tom