Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ceramic capacitor voltage

wrote:

Hello all,

this might be a bit off topic, however is there a (easy or not) way to
tell the working voltage of a ceramic disc capacitor? I have tons of
these surplus or saved capacitors but often the working voltage is
marked when equal or higher than 1 kV. When I have to reuse a capacitor
in a high but not so high voltage circuit (let's say 200 Vdc) I never
know how to find the correct size or how to measure the insulation
voltage of the capacitor.
Fortunately film capacitor have a clear marking :-)
Best regards

Francesco IS0FKQ

my first q is to check that youre familiar with the voltage codes used
on ceramics. V rating is indicated by one letter or number. If so, and
theyre unmarked for some reason, do you have many of each type? If so,
testing a few to destruction would be a workable way to get some
ratings. Cant think of any other options, unless perchance you remember
the operating V of what they were taken off.

NT