Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Musing: Art vs Woodturning

Dan Bollinger wrote:

Here is another example that makes my previous point. George's comment
above implies that art is something you do after turning, that the
turning can't be, or is void of, art. Another way of saying this is, "A
turning isn't art, but might be the canvas for art." I disagree.

As do I. But that said, it is a serious error, I think, to try to define
art in the sense of requiring that it meet specification 'x' or 'y'.

Art is an emotional experience and those who wish to confine that are no
better than those who would limit our faith in a supreme being to narrow
corridors of thought or our political conscience to a single perspective.

If I turn a piece of wood and even in its desired shape 'something' is
missing, yer durned tootin' I'm going to give some thought to painting,
burning, sculpting, inlays and so on. I'm still new at the game ... just
now getting to the point where tool choice and presentation doesn't
require much thought so I am quite happy to make a bowl that doesn't
require much sanding and that has had all of its problems answered as
they were encountered.

But I have a 12" od by about 3" deep box elder bowl with only a twinge
of the red and a very small amount of curliness that is just calling for
a dark green leaf just below and to the left of the red knot showing on
the outside. Maybe two leaves. In fact, maybe it would look best with
all of the outside painted except for that little shot of red. Hmmm ...
once the pump gets primed ... ideas just flow.

Here's the point: as it sits, that is a very ordinary sort of bowl. I
can sell it as a bowl for maybe $25-$35 or I can say "I don't have much
to lose ... let's see what I can REALLY do with this thing."

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. I just took it off the
lathe tonight and hit it with its first coat of tung oil. It won't get
any leaves at all for quite some time. When it does ... who knows what
it'll end up looking like? If push comes to shove, there's always the
backyard fire pit on cool nights in the spring.

When -I- look at something my own hands have created and I am still
moved to say "wow" ... that's art.

Bill

--
We should all be obliged to appear before a board every five years and
justify our existence...on pain of liquidation.

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0658-0, 12/13/2006
Tested on: 12/14/2006 12:10:53 AM