Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default A GOOD Shop Vac?

On Dec 13, 11:57 pm, wrote:
Can you recommend a good shop vac for an at-home puttering type not a
pro............price a consideration too!

What do you consider good? Powerful, quiet, portable, versatile,
large, small, etc.?
Fein is supposed to be about the best, but they're very expensive. If
noise isn't an issue (if you're wearing hearing protection regardless),
the Ridgid 9gal with HEPA filter I have works fine. Just noisy, but it
does suck like it's supposed to. Not too expensive. The 12gal is
supposedly quieter. I'm not sure Ridgid is any better than any of the
others; I think Craftsman is made in the same factory. "Shop Vac"
brand is a different manufacturer, and they might be quieter, but of
the consumer-grade ones, I don't think there's much difference in
performance (once you get a HEPA filter). A bag might be nice to
facilitate cleaning and add another layer of filtration - my Ridgid
doesn't have that option.
Good luck,
Andy