Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default (cargo?) WARM HEAVY work-pants? (google not much help)

volts500 wrote:
David Combs wrote:
Am looking for heavy-duty **warm** work-pants, and can't
so far find much somewhat near the top of a google search.

Years and years (30?) ago I bought such a pair, outside
made of something strong, like canvas, maybe, with a quilted
semi-sweat-impermeable-covered thickish lining.

Carhardtt makes jeans that are very durable, available at Sears and
Roebuck, Tractor Supply and a lot of other places.

So tough that I probably could have walked through a
patch of catclaw without tearing it.

And WARM.

Partly due to the lining, and partly (or mainly?) due to
the *weight* of the material, which helps lower *radiative*
heat loss.
I work outside all winter in Minnesota, and here's my philosophy:

I wear arctic wt. carhart bibs when it is below zero. otherwise I wear
a pair of oversized jeans or light wool pants over fleece sweat pants.
I can't imagine wearing all cotton. I go to secondhand stores and buy
wool sweaters and coats which I wear in layers depending on the temp.
I did go out and spent 60 bucks on a merino wool underwear shirt which
was worth every penny. sweating or a little rain or snow is no problem
with wool.