Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default (cargo?) WARM HEAVY work-pants? (google not much help)

In article , (David Combs) wrote:

Partly due to the lining, and partly (or mainly?) due to
the *weight* of the material, which helps lower *radiative*
heat loss.

These days, however, I seem to find only cheap, thin stuff,
(easy to tear, wear holes into, etc)
and if with lining, then only with "fleece", which in my
experience will stretch and of course provides a ZERO
*radiative* heat-loss barrier.

A human body is not sufficiently warmer than its environment to lose much heat
by radiation. The overwhelming majority of heat loss from a human body is by
the evaporation of water from the skin and mucous membranes (including the
lungs), and by conduction to the air. Any heat lost conductively to free air
is rapidly removed convectively. The key to staying warm is to reduce this
convective loss by dressing in layers, to ensure that the warm air layer next
to the skin _stays_there_ instead of transporting that heat somewhere else.

Bottom line: anything that's reasonably well insulated, with a barrier to keep
out wind, will keep you warm. When I'm deer hunting, I wear coveralls
insulated with Thinsulate Ultra, and they keep me *very* warm -- despite the
fact that deer hunting in the Midwest is a largely sedentary activity that
consists mostly of sitting in a stand waiting for deer. You'll presumably be
active while wearing work pants, so your need for insulation is
correspondingly less than mine. My hunting coveralls are made by Walls; I
don't know if they make outdoor work clothing too, but most manufacturers of
hunting clothing do.

Try searching at cabelas.com or basspro.com

--
Regards,