Paul Mc Cann

Default Car air-conditioning smells

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:49:00 +0800, "Toolmaker"
wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
My wife bought herself a new car with air conditioning about 6 months ago.
It now has a nasty (sweaty feet) sort of smell when the ventilation is
switched on.

The smell is due to fungal growths in the damp conditions in the air ducts.
Turn the heater onto full hot (A/C off) and leave it for a few minutes
(after the car has reached operating temperature, obviously). This will dry
the air ducts and kill the smell. Best to do this every few weeks.

Are we all going to die from Legionaire's Disease?

No

I had a friend who had this with a Vauxhall and they never cured it !!

I have always left the airconditioning on, winter and summer. It
de-humidifies as well as cooling which is helpful in winter.

The down side is you do have to learn how to use it . Invariably if a
female member of the family borrows my car, when I get it back, as
well as having no petrol, the airconditioning will have been turned
off.

I once did a winter journey with a colleague, in her car, of about 120
miles. For the first 15-20 minutes the heater was on full blast. Then
it was turned off completely and we suffered cold and condensation for
the rest of the journey.

Paul Mc Cann