Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default ceramic capacitor voltage

In article . com,
wrote:

this might be a bit off topic, however is there a (easy or not) way to
tell the working voltage of a ceramic disc capacitor? I have tons of
these surplus or saved capacitors but often the working voltage is
marked when equal or higher than 1 kV. When I have to reuse a capacitor
in a high but not so high voltage circuit (let's say 200 Vdc) I never
know how to find the correct size or how to measure the insulation
voltage of the capacitor.

Francesco-

A problem with determining a capacitor's voltage, is that the test can
be destructive. Once the insulation resistance has broken down, the
capacitor is most likely no longer unusable.

For ceramic capacitors, you can take a chance and apply twice the
expected working voltage and verify there is no leakage after the
initial charging has occurred. Some capacitor testers have a capability
to do this test.

Fred
K4DII