Posted to uk.d-i-y
JellyBelly JellyBelly is offline

Default Calculating the quiescent power consumption of my house

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:49:47 -0000, "vortex2"
wrote:

Don't try turning off the Sky box or TVs they are designed to stay on
standby and forget important information when switched off, then go into
startup mode when power is restored which is a right pain in the *rs*.

Sky box, yes, I agree, and in my case also the DVD/HDD recorder, because
both of them download new EPG listings during the night. In fact, my Sky box
has to be left *on* (not just in standby) and tuned to British Eurosport
(channel 410) because that channel carries the GuidePLUS+ information that
the DVD/HDD recorder needs to download each night.

But TVs? TVs can be switched off at the mains with no problems, unless these
new-fangled plasmas and LCDs have something that I don't know about - which
is possible as I'm on widescreen CRT and will be for a few years yet.

JellyBelly