Peter Reilley

Default Help Me Pull The Plug

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Anthony wrote:

(Fdmorrison) wrote in
:

Any ideas of how to get this plug out other than drilling it?

Find an Allen wrench size that just fits the hole. Try the next size
larger that you have (inch or metric). If it does not quite fit
(good), hammer it in the hole (if you have access to be able to do
that), then torque the plug out. FM

A good tool I've found for this is an appropriate sized Torx bit. They
are usually a bit larger than the allen, and can be driven in with a
hammer like an easy-out. Works well for me.

Good idea, but FIRST light up a torch and put it inside the hex opening.
It won't take much, just a few seconds, but when it cools the plug will
come out much easier.

Uh, the OP did say those were gas tanks.....And there was "old gas" in
the other tank.

Probably nothing would happen, but I'd be chicken to take a torch to
it...Cluck ..

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Using a torch on a gas tank full of gas, old or new, sounds bad. Is using
a drill any better? When the drill penetrates the gas will come flooding
out all over the drill. Every drill that I know of uses brushes. There
is continual sparking as the drill runs. A pneumatic drill might be better
but there could be sparks at the drill bit.

If all of the methods of gripping the plug fail, either the torch or the
dill
sound too dangerous.

If he pumps the tank empty of as much gas as possible then fills it with
water to float any remaining gas out then blow the fumes out for a few days
it should be safe to drill or cut with a torch.

Pete.