Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Cracks in ceiling.........how to repair

Thanks for replying !! The cracks are pretty evenly distributed in the
damaged area, and flow in a seemingly random pattern. I don't think they
change in any way whatsoever with season, temperature, humidity, etc. The
cracks themselves are a small fraction of an inch wide (maybe a millimeter
or two) but are many feet in length extending over the damaged area of
approx 8 by 10 feet or so. I would also bet, based on observation, that a
separation of some type exists between the original drywall and one or both
of the two layers of material which were applied beneath it (the swirl layer
and the lower layer I added). This makes the addition of a third layer
without doing something first seem so risky to me, in terms of getting a
long-term stable result. I'm wondering what the correct solution would be,
especially if there is some separation going on in one of the two upper
layers.....

Smarty

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
I have a large drywall ceiling which was originally covered by the
prior owner with a thin layer of plaster or drywall paste and then
swirled to make it look more attractive.

Many years later, when I purchased the house, I had a sprayed ceiling
applied to cover the swirls, and this replacement ceiling has been
installed for over 20 years.

Now the ceiling has begun to show some serious cracks. They do not
appear to run in any specific path, or suggest settling or structural
an area which is maybe 8 foot by 10 foot in size.

I am looking for advice as to how this should be properly prepared. I
could spray another layer onto this existing damaged area, but am
afraid the damage will come though in a few short years or sooner. I
could replace the entire ceiling for the entire room (32 foot by 16
feet) but this would be extremely expensive and messy. I could
plaster the damaged area and then spray a new layer onto the repaired
as well as the undamaged areas, and assume that the damaged area,
since it has been repaired by replastering, will not create future
issues. Or perhaps there is some better way to tackle this job?????

Your expert thoughts are much appreciated.

Smarty

It is hard to tell without on site inspection, but my guess is there is
some problems with the two layers becoming loose the from drywall. It may
be the first layer from the drywall or the second from the first or some
combination. It could be that with some expansion and contraction from
temperature and humidity changes, cracks have formed and it is still
solid.

I don't think I would want to add another layer to what you already
have. How large are the cracks? Do the change in size with the seasonal
changes of temperature and humidity? Are they evenly distributed
throughout the ceiling?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit