Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Musing: Art vs Woodturning

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ps.com...
Dan,

Great observation. Another way to phrase it is: "I turn to turn", vs
"I turn to create art." One could argue that Binh Pho is simply
creating a three dimensional canvas for his painting and piercing.
Minimally, yes, but the turning form itself contribute to the art piece
as a whole.

I find that I get a lot of satisfaction from turning to turn. I get
constipated trying to force out "art". I will keep trying though,
because I see so much beauty in the woodturned art I get to experience.
Probably some ego in there too. :-)

There are the pyrographers, cut and paste, paint and shine and all kinds of
types who create art out of their turnings. Some even draw plans.

I discover what's there while I'm turning.

If it's what I saw, well and good.