Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plumbing emergency

Phil L wrote:
wrote:
Hello,

The cold tap to our bath has stopped working. The header tank has one
pipe coming from it which splits, via a T-piece, into two. One pipe
from this goes to the cylinder to be heated and the hot water tap
flows without problems. The second pipe goes to the cold water tap.

Water flows freely from the loft down the pipe to the airing cupboard
where there is a gate valve and the blockage is somewhere between the
gate valve and the bath. I know this because I have taken the gate
valve apart and the water is running up to that point and I have
taken the tap apart and there is no water going to it.

So what's the best thing to do now? Should I use some curtain wire to
try and move the blockage? Or is there a better way? Any idea what
might be blocking it?

Thanks.

Uncouple the gate valve and turn on the cold tap to the bath, blow down the
gate valve end, there's probably a dead mouse or some such stuck in the
pipe, probably at the bath tap.
don't suck.

Could also be an airlock if the pipe has a high point between the valave
and teh bath tap.