JMartin957

Default Lockpin spindles (pinchucks)--pin dia.?

I'm making a set of lockpin spindles, or pinchucks as the woodturning
catalogs call them.
I'm wondering if there's an optimum diameter for the pin in relation to
the diameter of the spindle, which has a flat milled equal in depth to
the diameter of the pin. I'm guessing "educatingly" that the smallest
pin practical would give the best wedging action.
Probably not critical with wood, where I'll be using the spindles the
most, but they might have use in metalworking where a lot of accuracy
isn't needed--to hold a pulley for machining the OD of the hub, for example.
I can't find anything in my limited reference library, anyone have some
info on this?
TIA,

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin

I've made up a number of those, too. For wood, I'd think it would depend on
the type of wood. Hardwoods would be OK with a small pin, but softwoods might
allow the pin to dig in and spin. Also the tolerance of the hole.

Might consider two opposing flats and two pins. Could make the pins shorter
and still get grip, yet keep pressures balanced.

John Martin