Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Hot or neutral, which is what?

"# Fred #" wrote in message
I just helped someone to replace an overhead light fixture in an old house
with existing K&T wiring without wire termination ID. I referenced the
light fixture terminal polarities to the nearest K&T ungrounded outlet but
realized if that outlet is wired wrong so will my light installation. I
have a non contact volt sensor but it was not working and also I was
tempted to give the finger test but I'm getting old and my heart may not
take the kick. I guess I should have referenced the polarities to a cold
water pipe. What would you do?

If this is the biggest problem you ever encounter working on older homes you
have gotten off real easy.

As Hotrod said, " go home and sleep well".

Colbyt