Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Diesel fuel smell on clothes

Mike S. wrote:
I didn't know what group was best to ask this in but I figure someone
here should know the answer.

I got some sort of smell on my clothes that I believe is diesel fuel,
grease, or oil. I'm thinking that it must be diesel fuel but I can't be
certain. I've already washed the clothes as I normally would but the
smell won't come out. There doesn't seem to be any stains from whatever
is causing the odor. Any ideas on how to get this horrible smell out of
my clothes?

I think you would know if you had been exposed to any diesel fuel.

I carry diesel home in 5 gal cans for my Bobcat. I hate that smell and
it is quite persistent. Even a few drops on your glove or shirt and
you will never stop smelling it.

My strategy has been prevention. When I gas up, I am careful not to
get any on me. On my way in to pay, i am careful not to touch my
clothes or face with my hands. Once inside I wash my hands multiple
times. In cold weather I leave my gloves in the back of the truck
never in the cab. I then wash those gloves with other similar items
or just toss them in the spring.