Posted to sci.electronics.repair
distar97 distar97 is offline

Default 75 ohm "F" connectors on TV VCR etc.

Good thread... People don't understand that when the F-connector is
ripped out, it may not always detach cleanly. Often the guts off the
RFoutput box get damaged plus it's not so easy to repair the metal
housing, then solder it all back together without melting the innards
of the new connector.
My solution is add a push-on F-connector.
It serves as a heat sink during soldering and guarantees the inner
plastic won't melt. As a bonus I tell the customer about the push-on
connector, how it will prevent the problem from reoccurring. Now he
feels he got his moneys worth, even though I'm getting a little extra.
Radio Shack sells them for $1.79, part# 278-218. Others have them
cheaper and often better quality.
Dennis