Don Wilkins

Default Is tungsten carbide ferrous?

On 6 Feb 2004 08:45:58 -0800,
(benwoodward.com) wrote:

,;How can it be magnetic and not be ferrous?

Silmanal is a permanent magnet. Composition?

86.8 silver-8.8% manganese- 4.4% aluminum

None of the elements usually classified as ferromagnetic are present
in that alloy.

Aluminum is attracted to a magnet and certainly is not ferrous. It is
classified as paramagnetic but paramagnetic materials are in fact
magnetic. Off hand I can't think of any material that isn't
ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, or diamagnetic.

,;Can it rust?
,;Can it be welded to steel?
,;Welded with steel?
,;Also, if I quench harden 2016, why won't it cut carbide?
,;Can tungsten carbide be quench hardened? Forged?
,;I wonder.