Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Hot or neutral, which is what?

The finger test won't help, you need to use the two arm test from the wires
to the nearest grounded thing, but I'd recommend something other than your
body parts

"# Fred #" wrote in message
I just helped someone to replace an overhead light fixture in an old house
with existing K&T wiring without wire termination ID. I referenced the
light fixture terminal polarities to the nearest K&T ungrounded outlet but
realized if that outlet is wired wrong so will my light installation. I
have a non contact volt sensor but it was not working and also I was
tempted to give the finger test but I'm getting old and my heart may not
take the kick. I guess I should have referenced the polarities to a cold
water pipe. What would you do?