Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Sile stone or granite?

I have Silestone (Rosa Grey), and I am very happy with it. If you
watch this board for a while, you will occasionally see people with
stain problems with granite, and that makes me even more sure I made
the right choice.

It's nice peace of mind to know that I can leave a drop of oil or
peanut butter unnoticed for weeks in some corner of the counter, and I
don't have to worry about staining or discoloration. The uniformity of
Silestone also makes for a more invisible seam than what granite could
offer, although the flow of granite is certainly attractive. Quartz
surfaces have no pores, no hidden cracks, no pitting.

My Silestone seems plenty glossy to me. Contrary to another poster's
comment, I've heard tha fabricators have an easier time with Silestone
because there are no hidden cracks or "craze lines" to watch for.
Although this is second-hand info. The higher quartz content of
Silestone might cause fabricators to go through cutters more
frequently. I dunno, and really I don't care, since the end product is
what matters.

Silestone is stronger than granite and can sustain a greater overhang,
if you need an overhang. Rosa Grey is a great pattern because it looks
very natural and amazingly is still in the second cheapest price
category of the 4 categories (for now).

The one thing I didn't like was the Home Despot required full payment
before they started work. Outrageous. It was almost a deal-breaker.
Unfortunately, I thought some competing companies (Zodiaq) patterns
were kinda blah.

Search this group for Silestone, and you'll get lots of info.