Robin Prater

Default New aerial set up

wrote in message
My aerial set up is as follows .
An aerial which was suitable for sitting on top of a TV is in the
loft.
This was connected to a cable by way of a simple "tube" type object -
the aerial plugged in one end the cable the other.
This set-up fed ,via the cable , a recorder and then TV.
All five channels were great but is now approx 30 yrs old.

Recently I had (professionally I thought) installed a new cable to
feed two rooms .
On junction one I can get One - Two - Three - good but not great -
Four perfect and no five.
On junction two I can get One not as good as J one - Two is about the
same as J one ,Three has diagonal lines which I can tune out but then
all I have is a perfect black and white,Four is near perfect and Five
poor.

This,new, cable has been spliced into (I can only see the tape
covering) the 30 yr old cable !!
The old cable has not been used for a couple of years but it was left
for emergency.

I do not wish to run new cable to junction Two but do need to use it.

I will remove all 30 yr old items (cable and aerial).

I see in Argos catalogue there are two main aerials(£20 & £40)
,suitable for digital, which of these would solve my problem?

I do not have an ARGOS catalogue but cost usually depends on the number of
directing elements i.e. how long it is. If you can see the transmitter you
won't need the expensive one. If the signal strength is poor get the longer
one. A clue might be to have a look outside and see what everyone else is
using.

I do not like the word splice! when dealing with these frequencies. You
should use a good quality low loss cable from the aerial to feed a small
distribution amplifier and then the other circuits. Each cable should be
properly terminated with a co-ax plug. All the bits can be bought from
MAPLIN.

Try to fix the aerial externally if you can you should get a better signal
strength than from the loft.

Robin