Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] cgallery@gmail.com is offline

Default Using mirror as a door

Hello. I am making a small medicine cabinet. Due to the small size,
I'd like to avoid putting the mirror in a frame (to maximize mirror
size due to my rather giant head). My thought was to use a hinge like
this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2274

with a mirror instead of a piece of glass. Then someone reminded me
that the glass that is normally used for this purpose is termpered.

But, because I would already have to laminate something to the back of
the mirror to protect the silvering, my thought is tempering would be
less necessary. If it breaks, the laminated backing would hold it
together.

Any thoughts on what to use to laminate to the back to protect the
silvering and to provide protection in the event that it breaks? Would
contact cement be safe to use on the back of a mirror?

TIA,
Phil