Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Radiators go cold very quickly - why?

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:27:21 -0000, "JoeJoe" wrote:

|I have a brand new combi running 18 radiators + 1 shower in my house. No
|complaints there.
|
|Problem is that the radiators seem to be getting very cold very quickly as
|soon as the boiler is switched off. My suspicion is that the cause could be
|because some of the pipes (copper) hat feed the downstairs radiators are not
|insulated. I have a 1m high space under the house, where the pipes are
|located, and it is freezing cold and drafty there.
|
|Does it make sense? Will it be a good idea to insulate the pipes? It
|shouldn't be a very big job.
|
|What shall I use? I was thinking about something like this (
|http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...0943&ts=33331), but: 1. it
|seem to come in various levels of thinkness (which is suitable?), and 2. it
|may be tricky to fit in some places.
|
|Any advice will be much appreciated.

Definitely insulate under floor pipes *ASAP*. I am in process of doing
some myself. I am using the Water Regulations stuff from Wicks, IMO
well worth it because of the thickness of the insulation. It is very stiff
and difficult to get on the pipe. I open the insulation up till the other
side almost splits, shove it on the pipe, and hold it on place with Cable
Ties. Where necessary I trim a bit of insulation away, with my specially
sharpened Swiss Army Knife.

The only problem I have had is that my Swiss Army Knife is used as a fob
for the Car keys, and I left it under the floor, and did not want to go
there to retrieve it in half way clean clothes. :-(