Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Low Voltage Disposal Control

clueless joe wrote:
The switch for our Garbage Disposal is in an inconvenient spot. I was
considering the following and want collective input about my idea:

I will buy a relay with contacts rated high enough to handle the
disposal motor inrush. (calculating this is not something I know how
to do) I would power the low voltage side with a leftover cell phone
charger, through a doorbell switch which I would mount in a convenient
and safe location. (safe means not where I could turn on the disposal
by leaning on it accidentally) I would put the relay and charger cube
under the sink, and be able to control the disposal with low voltage
and low current.
So what am I overlooking? Any input on specs for the relay?

Thanks
Joe

P.S. I saw a TOH where they installed an Air Switch which inspired
this idea. I would use that solution but I do not have a hole in my
granite counter top to accommodate the air switch.

I don't like the idea.

1. you are now relying on a relay to break a circuit. If the relay
fails, you have a problem. A switch is less likely to fail and if it does
it almost always well fail open, not closed. I have had relays fail closed.

2. Why is it inconvenient. Will the new location meet the usual
requirements for the switch. Frankly you want it to be inconvenient. You
don't want to switch it accidentally or have a kid flip it. I really hated
the way our builder put the switch next to the switch for the overhead
light. Very bad idea. It has been flipped several times by accident, even
after I painted it red.

I am considering putting in a more secure switch; some sort of momentary
contact with a cover. Maybe I will add an additional standard switch that
can act as a safety. Thinking about this there are some good ideas if I can
find the right parts. One switch that would close the circuit for a limited
amount of time like 60 seconds and a momentary switch to activate the
disposal. ..

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit