Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Yamaha RX-V350 , BD3816K1

jango2 wrote:
Watch out for this one folks, just warning you'll because i got
fooled. Symptom: No input selction or audio. All you hear is click
click when you crank the volume control.

The BD3816K1 is mounted on a vertical pcb which plugs into 2
connectors on the main board. 1 connector supplies + and - DC along
with data, clk, mute etc, the other connector has 5 channel audio
outputs to main board. A few 8 pin smd op amps lie in the ics
periphery.The vertical board has pcb mounted rca sockets for various
audio inputs. I measured supplies, looked at data and clock on my
scope and everything checked out fine. Two transistors in a TO92
package had "K429 A1266" and "K435 C3198" printed on them. I
wrongly assume they're FETs and do an in circuit check for a shorted
gate-drain, find none and move ahead. So i invested 25$ in a new
BD3816K1 and replaced the old one. Naturally i'm shocked and
desperate when i power up the set and find the same symptom. I've
already quoted estimate and an anxious knot in my stomach has me
thinking "oh god what if another ic which isn't available locally is
the actual culprit , i'm doomed."
I slip into depression , curse the woes of this trade , and decide to
give it a last attempt before resigning myself to accepting another
loss.I look up datasheets for 2sk429 and i find the package doesnt
match, turns out the damn thing's a 2SA1266 with an open BE junction.
The other being a 2SC3198, the K no.s printed on top in both cases.
Seems like some leakage from another device connected to the cd input
on board (it left a nasty scar near the rca socket)( i'll bet a
philips....say what?) took out both the transistors. They are in
series with + and - supplies.
What is this transistor coding system that starts with K ?, have never
seen it before.
Jango

So the A1266 fixed it? The "K" stands for KSA1266 as opposed to 2SA1266.
Korean counterparts, usually but maybe not always interchangeable with the
Japanese.

I've been looking through the service manual for the RX-V350 (US version
anyway...)

Cannot find the transistors you reference.

Mark Z.