Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jethro_uk@hotmail.com is offline

Default DIY electrical repairs in outbuilding and part P

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
This is a very important issue, much more so because of the
horses. Tiny leakage currents which humans can barely feel
are fatal to most livestock including horses, so this has
to be got right.

Really? I didn't know that. What about electric fences for example?

I would have guessed that horses & cattle could have taken larger shocks
than humans because of thier greater mass. How does that work?

I think the major issue is simply that horses and cows are *longer*
than people so even quite small leakage currents into the ground will
cause a large enough voltage gradient to affect them whereas it won't
affect bipeds.

Apparently it's not unusual to find a field of dead cattle, where
lightning has struck the ground and caused a (bovine) fatal pd across
the heart.