Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fash Fash is offline

Default Extending ring main

Andy Wade wrote:
Matchlock wrote:

The existing socket is 100mm above the skirting so I will have to make
the drop down to the centreline of the skirting, around an internal
corner then through the wall.

If the new socket is to be at the same height as the one that you're
taking the spur from then it will be easier not to drop down but to run
the cable on a direct horizontal line between the two sockets.

I assume from your reply that if I chase the wall behind the skirting
and cover in grounded metal not plastic? I should be OK.

It needs to be thick metal that you couldn't easily drill or nail
through. Steel conduit is OK, but the thin metal capping certainly isn't.

This isn't quite true, the point is if the protection is earthed then
you are safer as you're always in contact with earth before reaching
the live and therefore the low resistance path won't include the
operator. I have reproduced the relevant bit from th regs below.

Protection, as permitted by Regulation 522-06-06 (i), (ii) and (iii),
may be provided in a number of ways. The cable may be protected by an
earthed metal conduit, trunking or ducting satisfying the requirements
of BS 7671 for a protective conductor, or the cable should incorporate
an earthed metal sheath complying with the requirements of BS 7671 for
a protective conductor of the circuit concerned. Alternatively,
mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by
screws or nails may be used.

The point is that it is very hard to satisfy the mechanical penetration
requirement hence why it's earthed.

Would I also need to go through the wall in metal?

Protection is needed where the cable is less than 50 mm from either
surface of the wall AND is not in the defined horizontal safe zone.

I agree with Andy here except that you don't have a problem on the side
of the wall where your new socket is since the cable will be vertically
below the fitting and therefore in a safezone.

--
Andy

Take a look at http://www.niceic.org.uk/approved/quest3.html which
shows graphically all the safe zones.