Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Laird John Laird is offline

Default Submersible pump in shallow water

Pete C wrote:

Is there a non return valve on the output of the pump? If so, does
removing it allow it to start in shallower water?

No, it's a very simple device. It's a bit annoying that the air space
above the impeller is sufficiently large to trap air in this way. When
running, I think the idea is that that water is helping to cool the
motor.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. What occurred to me was that I was, by
using a bucket, creating a small sump that I then need to get out of
the way once the pump is working. I think that if I cut the bottom off
the bucket, and can manage to seal it sufficiently well against the
floor to stop water inside flooding out of the bottom too quickly, then
I should be able to:

a) Place the bucket (now a hollow cylinder) on the floor
b) Drop the pump into the bucket
c) Pour water into the bucket to a depth sufficient to
d) Start the pump
e) Lift the bucket up

The bucket is now of course trapped by the power lead and the outlet
hose, but that's no big deal. c) is the tricky part - getting enough
water in before it leaks back out of the bottom. I probably need to
lash up some sort of seal - thinking maybe of using some split foam
pipe insulation taped onto the bottom so it is easily pressed down onto
an uneven surface.

[I did not mention the fun I have had trying to get water to flow
through the lay-flat hose that came with the pump (I think it was laid
flat with a road roller), but am hoping the pressure generated by the
pump working properly will open the hose up. It's about 6m head.]

Final question - presumably I shouldn't *really* pump this water out
into the surface drain on a permanent basis ?

--
"Don't rush me. I get paid by the hour."