Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Will I die doing this?

In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:58:17 GMT, CJT wrote:

I thought ring current was 90 volts.

At least 90v maybe over 100 at 20 cycles, It is current limited but
you could still get a nasty jolt in the water. Actually if the phone
is "off hook" it won't ring (line busy) and the voltage is more like
10-12v. That is all part of that current limiting stuff. You can still
get 40-50ma on a phone line and that is 10 times what they consider
safe.

Although I have heard and spouted about currents around 5 mA having a
slight chance of electrocution, it is easier to cite 100-1,000 mA as the
"deadly range" (most-deadly range), and the body count from 30 mA neon
sign transformers might not need to resort to using toes.

So I say beware of disinformation, misinformation, insufficient
information (like how slowly probability of electrocution decreases as
current decreases below 100 mA), etc!

One day over 20 years ago a friend of mine was stripping a wire in his
phone line with his teeth. He managed to make contact - at the same time
I was calling him! Big jolt! I somewhat remember him saying that he fell
down on his butt and maybe saw stars!

- Don Klipstein )