Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] YouDontNeedToKnow@Somewhere.edu is offline

Default does anyone make...

"N8N" wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11 Dec 2006 07:43:46 -0800, "N8N" wrote:

a fluorescent spiral "bulb" that draws less than 13W? At least at the
"big box" stores around me they only have the 13W (60W equivalent) and
100W equivalent fluorescent; they are too bright for the fixtures in
the bedrooms at my house. The problem is that the fixtures are cheezy
and are only rated for 40W bulbs; I'm hesitant to even use those since
the house wiring is cloth covered and therefore not 90C rated like
modern wire (what the fixture mfgrs. likely planned on) so I'd like to
use as little wattage as possible. Two 15W incandescents are OK with
me but according to the girlie are too dim. Eventual solution unless I
can find smaller bulbs will probably be leaving one 13W fluorescent in
each fixture, will look a little odd but what can you do.

I also have some 7W (marked 40W replacement) bulbs that I got at
Lowe's (Bright Effects #84878). These have candelabra base, but
include edison base adapters.

Not only are 40W equivalent in compact spiral common at both HD and
Lowes but HD has a 3W CFL and Lowes a 4W CFL. Both are candelabra
shape but with either medium bases or adapters. I bought a couple last
weekend. You really haven't looked very well.

Now if you were complaining about the extortionate cost of low wattage
CFL's or the lies about their long lives...