Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Damaging a counter when cutting the 45 degree of an "L" shaped countertop...

On Dec 11, 10:40 pm, "Robatoy" wrote:
On Dec 11, 9:28 pm, Eugene wrote:

For my countertop I used the laminate sheets you glue down yourself. I had
an L shaped section so I placed two thin sheets of material down, one long
and one short, then a second layer on top of that with the long sheet on
top of the shorter one and the shorter one on top of the longer one so they
interlocked, then glued the laminate down and patched it together at the
tink so there was only a short joint in front of and behind the sink.That is the only practical way to do an in-home laminate countertop;

use sheets of laminate and glue on top of a substrate of either
particle board or MDF. The postformed mitre is a huge problem that only
a 16" blade on a beam saw can cure. But...never put seams anywhere near
the sink. Also silicone the rough edge of the hole for the sink. make
it waterproof as much as possible. Forget about backsplashes, tile down
to the deck.

I forgot to mention that the sheets of laminate come in a better grade
than the thin post-formed variety. Use a wood front edge, make it flush
with the substrate and laminate over the wood. Then expose the wood
edge by routering a decorative edge. There is plenty of information all
over Google on how to make a top like that.