Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Placement of deadbolt on door with glass panes

" wrote in
oups.com:

Alarm system sounds like a good candidate...

Who's going to respond to it if you are not home?
(and *how long* is the response time?)

but not sure how that
pertains to your situation. I've got the same deal...but if you think
about it, no home is completely secure.... even if you put a
double-keyed deadbolt on the glass door, think about how hard it would
be to break the door down completely,

the door FRAME usually fails before the door.

You want security,use a solid door,a reinforced door frame,and deadbolt
locks,not those locks in the doorknob,or ones that lock when you shut the
door.

or break another window or bust
your garage door opener chain by using a wedge to lift the door from
the outside, then spending the next few hours going to town on your
electronics and jewelry while you're on vacation. (happened to a friend
of a friend, so it's probably not true, but is possible)

One new attack is a garage's side door(or window) to the outside,then lots
of time to attack the inner door to the main house.
Or thieves break into your autos outside and take the garage door
opener,use that to enter the garage.(even while you ARE at home!)

My security system is model # 1911-A1 caliber .45 ACP by Springfield
Armory. These retail for about $500 and installation is a few clicks.

And only good if you happen to be HOME when the illegal entry is attempted.
(the usual occurrence in the US is the opposite.)
(and I'm a gun owner,not anti-gun.)

;-) If you've got kids (or are a convicted felon and can't buy a
gun), you may want to get a housebroken yappy loud guard dog (good
addition to the family anyhow) and an axe ($15) or 6-D cell maglite
($30) instead.

Pepper spray;it does not require close combat like a flashlight(club).
Get the LARGE can,like police use,at least 2 million Scovill units of heat.

(I'd also rather use a aluminum baseball bat than a flashlight,for a
club.Or an ASP collapsible baton.)

A big dog is useful when you aren't home,but has cleanup,possible allergy
problems,and requires constant feeding.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik