Ed Huntress

Default Is tungsten carbide ferrous?

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article ,

benwoodward.com
says...

Thank you for your replies. TC is a ceramic then.

Umm, I would say not a ceramic. There are many
different definitions of ceramic but I think the
best description of things like WC or TC would
be a "cemented carbide."

WC (what's TC?) is not a cemented carbide. It's a hard, high-strength
"engineering" ceramic, just like silicon carbide, aluminum oxide, or
titanium nitride. So are TiC, TiAlN, etc., etc.

You can make a sintered carbide/metal composite out of them by mixing
powders of the carbide(s) and the metal(s) and then pressing and sintering
them into a solid mass. In fact, that's exactly what they do to make
"carbide" tools. d8-)

Ed Huntress