Posted to alt.home.repair
bowgus bowgus is offline

Default Extending R-value for cathedral ceiling

Chris wrote:
I have to add fiber glass insulation on my cathedral roof, for a small
cottage 16' x 24', new construction, in Canada.
The roof rafters are 2" x 8". For that size, I should use R20
(6") in order to keep 2" for ventilation on the top of insulation.
I though I could to be able to use add another 2" x 2" lumber in
order to extend the rafters wide to 2 x 10 (instead of 2 x 8) and to
use R28 (8") insulation instead of R20 (6"). Is that a big
difference for R-value? The cottage is used to spend weekends and some
vacation days and not (yet!) for permanent living.
What would you recommend to me?
And another question: In order to keep the 2" for ventilation I
though to use raft-R-mate. Is it wrong to put this raft-R-mate the
entire long of rafters or only at the beginning should be enough?

Thank you,
Chris

Fwiw ... R20 conductance is .050 ... 95% efficient, and R28 conductance
is .036 ... 96.4% efficient or not much of a difference. And you didn't
say but just in case, a ridge vent is the perfect partner for that
raft-R-mate (although I would think if the fiberglass is installed
carefully the raft-R-mate should not be required). And of course a
completely sealed vapor barrier.