Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default 120V Socket only reading 85V ???

CJT wrote:
N8N wrote:

CJT wrote:

wrote:

Hello

I have a single electric socket for my washer which all of a sudden is
only reading 85V. The socket is on its own circuit and I have no idea
why the drop in voltage.

I have removed the socket and tested just the bare wires and get the
same reading.
I have swapped out the circuit breaker (with a known good one) and have
same problem.

What else might be causing this? I am guessing I have a short
somewhere... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Check the voltages at your other outlets. If they read other than 120V,
you might have an open neutral, with other appliances on the
circuit acting as a voltage divider to create a virtual ground.

If the OP is using a digital meter, this might also be a completely
dead circuit with an induced voltage on it that will go away if, say, a
lamp is plugged in (which might be a worthwhile test.)

nate

Have you calculated how much capacitance (and hence, how many feet of
wire) would be required for that to be so?

Not really, but I have seen readings as high as 75VAC on a DMM on a dead
circuit before, so I don't think 85V is out of the question.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel