Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 120V Socket only reading 85V ???

On 11 Dec 2006 11:48:58 -0800, wrote:

Hello

I have a single electric socket for my washer which all of a sudden is
only reading 85V. The socket is on its own circuit and I have no idea
why the drop in voltage.

I have removed the socket and tested just the bare wires and get the
same reading.
I have swapped out the circuit breaker (with a known good one) and have
same problem.

What else might be causing this? I am guessing I have a short
somewhere... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Measure the voltage with nothing connected and again with some load
connected. You'll probably find nearly 0V with the load. In that case,
you have a wire that's not connected and an induced voltage.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster