Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Extending R-value for cathedral ceiling

I don't wish to take sides in this argument and I certainly have no
practical expertise in this area, but the following article discusses
both "cold" and "hot" (i.e., vented and unvented) roof design in
colder climates; more specifically, Alaska.

See
http://www.north-rthn.org/french/f-f...fs-french.html

As to whether or not one should follow code, that's a personal call
but it would seem somewhat foolhardy to do otherwise. If this should
become an issue with the inspector, who do you think will have the
final say?

Cheers,
Paul

On 11 Dec 2006 14:20:34 -0800, wrote:

Because that's how cathedral ceilings are built base on years of
construction experience. You provide a space between the insulation
and the sheathing so that air can move from soffit to peak, where it
exists via a ridge vent or other venting mechanism. I doubt you;d get
a building inspector to pass off on an unventilated cathederal ceiling.
Besides moisture, what do you think having no air flow under the
sheathing is going to do to the life of the roof when it gets to 150 in
the summer?