Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy & Carol Andy & Carol is offline

Default 120V Socket only reading 85V ???

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello

I have a single electric socket for my washer which all of a sudden is
only reading 85V. The socket is on its own circuit and I have no idea
why the drop in voltage.

I have removed the socket and tested just the bare wires and get the
same reading.
I have swapped out the circuit breaker (with a known good one) and have
same problem.

What else might be causing this? I am guessing I have a short
somewhere... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you checked your attic for squirrels?? I had one chew right
through the wires, but when I turned on the light, I heard a thump
in the attic...squirrel is no longer chewing..he made a mess!