Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default dryer

wrote:
On 10 Dec 2006 16:12:30 -0800,
wrote:

I have a dryer that keeps emitting a high-pitched squeaking noise every
few seconds.

I'm not sure why.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU START!
Maytags have a pair of rollers in the back that carry the drum. The
bearings dry out and squeek. You get to them from the front by
removing the front cover and manifold. You will usually find enough
loose change to make it worth the trip. Make sure you make a picture
of the belt routing if you are pulling the drum out. I wrote it on the
base with a sharpie marker.
Replacing the rollers is the loing term fix since these are oil
impregnated bearings but a good coat of bearing grease will last for
awhile. Simply oiling them will not last very long, maybe a year

..
Depends on the make/model. Type of bearings? Is the drum or the fan
that's squeaking?
Had one Kenmore where the drum belt tension pulley squeaked incessantly
no matter how much oiled! Reached by lying on the concrete floor and
reaching in with an oiler! Finally ran a small tube down to the pulley
and lubed frequently; after a while didn't dry out cos enough lube on
it. Didn't squeak then for over three years.
Your mileage may vary depending on the machine!