Matt G

Default Cutting a hole in an external wall

I'm thinking of knocking a hole in an external wall for venting the
exhaust of our portable air conditioner as I'm not keen on dangling the
vent out of a window. The unit came with what appears to be a simple
externally mounting flange with a seperate lid to cover it up when not
in use. I can see several problems with this though.

- The flange is wide open with no grille or slats or anything on the
outside. I can imagine all sorts of undesirable weather and wildlife
finding its way indoors.

- The flange being externally mounted and not very deep means that the
hose would have to be stuck through a rough hole in the internal wall
(concrete block, I assume), across the cavity, and through a hole in the
external (brick) wall. Would there be any problems with bridging the
cavity in this manner?

- The AC unit may be moved away from its present location over winter.
This would leave a gaping unfinished ugly hole in the wall, exposing the
cavity to the room, and leaving only the thin plastic lid on the outer
wall as a barrier to the cold outdoors.

Is there available a kit that provides a nice clean aesthetically
pleasing duct through a wall ,that can be closed at both ends to keep
the outdoors from getting indoors and that won't cause problems with
insulation?

Also, what tools would I need? This seems to be an excellent opportunity
to get my wife to agree to the purchase of a decent SDS drill

Matt.