Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mike vore mike vore is offline

Default Buying an Exotic Wood Store

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm considering buying an exotic wood store. He caters to furniture
makers. If I buy it, I'd like to start also selling to turners. So
where do turners (I'm not one) buy their wood? Mail order, internet,
local stores?

Answering you question as it is stated: I buy most of mine at a local Exotic
Lumber store. But I don't buy much wood that way, mainly pen blanks. Most of
the wood I turn, as most turners that I know use "Road Kill" - as others have
said/ We keep an eye out for fallen trees after storms and have a network to
alert each other when we know of a tree that is coming down. One club I
belong to actually has a good relationship with the city, we have first dibs
on trees that the city needs to take down - most of them have some historic
significance. We do return a piece or two to the city and the mayor.

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com