Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default Buying an Exotic Wood Store

Only the little bit I've learned as a woodworked for the past 5 or 6
years. I've used some cocobolo, some bloodwood, zebrawood, and lyptus.

I've also used some domestic woods: hard maple, black walnut, oak.

Of course I've read Hoadly's book and have a few books on
identification of woods. But, I'll confess, unless it's obvious, I
couln't identify many pieces of wood. I could probaly identify easy
ones like purpleheart, walnut, curly maple, zebra wood, etc.

I also know many woods have dangerous dust. I'd have to consult a book
on various things.

I am not an expert by any means. However, I can prove the minimax
theorem so I have a brain. Learning woods can't take too long -- a
matter of months, surely.

Cheers -- not trying to sound sarcastic - I appreciate your response.

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
One question which comes to mind -- what do you know about exotic wood?

Bill

wrote:
Where do I get my wood ???

Have a look

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm considering buying an exotic wood store. He caters to furniture
makers. If I buy it, I'd like to start also selling to turners. So
where do turners (I'm not one) buy their wood? Mail order, internet,
local stores?