Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig Craig is offline

Default Snow thrower with track drive?

"Harry K" wrote...

Re track drive: I have heard, once from a small engine shop, that they
are a bear to turn in tight spots. Anything to that? I am debating
retiring my old MTD. One thing that a new one _must_ have will be a
powered spout adjustment.

Harry K

During snowthrowing operations, I've never had a problem since the
snow/ice left behind gives a nice slippery surface. Also, my Honda HS724 is
a small tracked-thrower which can be man-handled more easily than the bigger
ones, I'd think. I will say that, come spring when I do my annual storage
routine and tuck it away in the garage, I think a wheeled unit would be
easier to maneuver into a tight spot than a tracked one.

I bought a tracked unit because, at the time, I was throwing snow on a
gravel driveway and I figured that with the height adjustment set a couple
inches above the ground, tracks would be better than wheels for maintaining
that height and avoid the machine becoming a stone-thrower.

Craig