Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
damian penney damian penney is offline

Default Damaging a counter when cutting the 45 degree of an "L" shaped countertop...

SammyBar wrote:
Hi all,

Yesterday I tried to put the new melamine countertop (Kober) to my kitchen
with awful results: I should buy a new one and redo everything. The
principal problem was to cut the 45degree to make the two pieces to meet in
the vertice of the "L" I could not make the two pieces to join in an
acceptable (not only for my wife but for myself) way. After recutting and
strightening both angled cuts some times I ended with one of the pieces
shorter than planned for more than 2 inches, but the worse of all was that
the length of the two cuts were different. I mean when you try to align the
two pieces in the "L" vertex, if you make the front of the counter to match,
then the back of one of the pieces was longer by a half inch than the other
piece. My answer is the angle is not 45 degree exactly.

To get the correct angle you'll want to bisect it. Use the process
described here to do it
http://www.sonoma.edu/users/w/wilson..._bisector.html
that way both angled cuts will be the same length. Sounds like a right
pain, good luck