Posted to alt.home.repair
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default 120V Socket only reading 85V ???

OK
I will test the HOT and GROUND and see what voltage I get.

Thanks for the tip.

On Dec 11, 2:28 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
First, some terms.

A "short" is when something is connected, but shouldn't be. An "open"
is something not connected, but should be.

Since you have a VOM, please try reading from the hot to the ground.
If this gives you 110 volts, then the problem is with your neutral.

In any case, it's a good idea every couple years to take a screw
driver and tighten all the neutrals in your breaker box. I know no one
does, but it's a good idea. I've lived at the same adress for 11
years, and not tightened my neutrals.