Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Extending R-value for cathedral ceiling

On 11 Dec 2006 08:11:12 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

I have to add fiber glass insulation on my cathedral roof, for a small
cottage 16' x 24', new construction, in Canada.
The roof rafters are 2" x 8". For that size, I should use R20
(6") in order to keep 2" for ventilation on the top of insulation.
I though I could to be able to use add another 2" x 2" lumber in
order to extend the rafters wide to 2 x 10 (instead of 2 x 8) and to
use R28 (8") insulation instead of R20 (6"). Is that a big
difference for R-value? The cottage is used to spend weekends and some
vacation days and not (yet!) for permanent living.
What would you recommend to me?
And another question: In order to keep the 2" for ventilation I
though to use raft-R-mate. Is it wrong to put this raft-R-mate the
entire long of rafters or only at the beginning should be enough?

Thank you,
Chris

You can add rigid foam insulation crosswise over the joists,
as long as you cover it with sheetrock afterwards.
That's why sheetrock screws come in a 3" (75mm) version.