Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default Placement of deadbolt on door with glass panes

Hello,

I live in a house that approx 45 years old. The rear entry door has
glass panes and does not have a deadbolt. To improve security, I am
planning on installing a deadlock. Since the glass could be broken and
then someone could easily unlock the deadbolt, I was planning on
placing the deadbolt closer towards the floor so that it would be very
difficult top reach. Is there any reason that I should not place the
deadbolt lower?

Buy a double cylinder deadbolt, which uses a key on both sides of the
door, and mount the lock at the normal height.

Fire hazard. Make sure you keep a key nearby, like behind a picture or
a floor mat or something.