Posted to misc.consumers.house
Craig Craig is offline

Default Snow thrower with track drive?

"Thomas Cormen" wrote...

Honda makes good ones although you'll pay a pretty penny for the
hydrostatic drive compared to some brands.

VERY bad choice for cold weather. I have one on my tractor and the
transmission does not work well when the temp is very cold.

I can't say about tractors, but I have a Honda 928 snow blower with
hydrostatic drive and wheels (not tracks). The hydrostatic drive
works just fine in New Hampshire winters. I've had no problems
running it in single-digit temperatures. And it's great to be able to
select an exact speed to match the snow conditions. I did pay more
for the Honda than I would have for a Toro, Simplicity, or Ariens, but
it was definitely worth it.

--THC

I'll agree, THC. I have the tracked smaller 724 and it works fine in the
cold. The infinitely-variable "gearing" seems a better idea to get the job
done quickly compared to a few fixed gears given the widely variable depth
and types of snow we get. I wonder if the fella with the tractor has a
lemon, one with a need for transmission servicing or something else.

Craig in Flagstaff (yes, it's Arizona, but you might be surprised at the
weather here at 7000')