Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Grounding Screw Sizes & Types

On 10 Dec 2006 14:41:08 -0800, "redbrickhat"
wrote:

I recently opened up an old electrical box with a weak ground. To fix
the ground problem I wanted to connect a ground wire to a green
grounding screw into the box.

However, the old box doesn't have any holes for 8-32 sized screws, but
only for the larger holes (for mounting?).

Questions:

A) Is there any reason why I cannot screw the grounding wire into one
of the larger holes in the box?

B) What size screws fit the larger holes?

C) Would any normal screw metal type work?

Thank you.

IMHO:

I'm not there, so I can only tell you what I've done. I've used
ground clips where I could not use a secure ground screw. A quick
search in google for "Solid Conductor Grounding Clips" should help. I
believe they are for sale at your local lowes and home depot. Check
and follow directions.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info