Posted to rec.woodworking
scott scott is offline

Default Noob - Cut too much off miter cut for base trim - options?

I'm not sure if I'm following but if this is a trim piece with a flat
back, can you take some material off the back side of all of the
pieces and then re-install? You will lose a little thickness but
might be able to gain enough in length between your already cut
miters.

Mike O.

Ok, now admittedly I have not learned much about miter joints, so this
is all pretty new to me. I made a hardwood floor trim transition for
around my fireplace floor tile and that had miters on it, but I ended
up making one leg of it where it goes back to the hearth area 1/4"
short, and I had to add a short section of cut wood to fill it in. No
one notices but me, but miters have not been something I'm very
comfortable with yet.

On this project, its just a board laying on edge acting as trim for a
bookcase, meeting two other trim peices the same size for the sides.
Its all 3/4" oak.

If I use the planer to reduce the thickness of the front trim, it won't
fit with the side trim right, correct? trimming off the back side of
the trim on the planer isnt' going to make the 45deg trim anylonger,
would it?

I'm not sure planing is a good idea, as it has two arches cut into it
where the two bookcase carcasses are behind the trim.

I have done a good job of getting my wife to let me have tools, but
feel silly having made this mistake on my Dewalt 12" sliding compound
miter saw (LOL). I probably would have been better off with a back saw
and a miter box!

Scott